1. Hi - Guest! Feel free to browse around & register with us! You can also login right away using your Facebook ID & begin enjoying the barfi experience...!

Debate Will The Rise And Development Of Nuclear Weapons Fuel Ww3

Discussion in '→ Chilling Lounge ←' started by whatever, Jan 29, 2012.

?

will proliferation and development of nuclear weapons lead towards Third World War

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Look at that Cat ಠ_ಠ It's Too Late

what a strange thing to say. perhaps you have another explanation for the seemingly unending state of war that's been the case since the 1950s - usually involving at least 1 or more nuclear powers.
  2. platinum786 Buzzin of Barfi

What wars by proxy? Or the newest current stage of colonialisation/Empire building? It's a continuation of whats been happening for centuries.

I think you've kind of missed my point, nuclear armed nations, have not gone to war against each other. Nuclear armed nations have warred against non nuclear armed nations of course.
  3. Look at that Cat ಠ_ಠ It's Too Late

but don't you see the problem? clearly having nuclear weapons doesn't stop wars, it just means nuclear nations are weary of going to war with other nuclear nations (even that is bollox though because US drones kill Pakistanis all the time so either Pakistan does not have any weapons, or it has no backbone or it sanctions the killing of it's own citizens - or all three!).

and what's the eventual conclusion of nuclear proliferation (in the hopes of peace)? should every single country have access to nuclear weapons? do you trust governments of every country to ensure the safety and security of managing those weapons?

how can you tell that what we have now is a "lasting peace" or the "calm before the storm"? the situation that we have already with some nations having nuclear capabilities and some not is tenuous at best. the fact we havn't had nuclear fallout is a miracle. it's the result, thank God, of someone not doing something stupid. can we forever expect everyone who as access to a nuclear button to "not do something stupid"? do you have faith in the human race to "not do something stupid" forever?
  4. platinum786 Buzzin of Barfi

The Pakistan/drone situation is a little different. The Pakistani government and Armed forces have allowed the US to carry out drone strikes in it's territory, using drones flown from it's territory (Shamsi airbase), whilst telling the public a different tale, they're completely involved. They give all the rhetoric, but don't actually bother don't anything, because Pakistan, armed forces included is run by corrupt self centred individuals. All these people are part of the same powerful fuedal elite, their kids study in America, they have their assets in western banks, why would you take the people you rely on, head on? They have no interests in the Pakistani people, because the Pakistani people don't have an alternative choice. Even the so-called religious parties are neck deep in relations and understandins with the USA, the same people leading chants of "death to America" have kids in top American uni's.

The other thing is, even if they wanted to, they couldn't, Pakistani nuclear weapons cannot reach the US mainland, the furtherest Pakistani missiles can reach is 2500km, the US mainland is like nearly 10,000km away, you need ICBM capability to strike that far, Pakistan doesn't have that capability.

As for "not doing something stupid", well i don't trust people not to do that, but the fact of the matter is, the technology is out there, South Africa tried to acquire it (gained it via Israel before giving it up), Brazil has been nuclear and given it up, Libya tried, Japan has the capability, KSA and Turkey would do so if Iran did, Iran is working towards the capability, it's not something that is going to go away. As far as responsibility to look after them is concerned, militarises have looked after army bases, tanks, warships, fighter jets, artillery guns, they'll look after nuclear weapons too.
  5. Look at that Cat ಠ_ಠ It's Too Late

see, that's a leap of faith i just can't make, mate. probably because the possible outcomes are so drastic.

I know where you're coming from but i think it's naive. yes, nuclear proliferation is already out of hand but that just means the problem's getting worse. we need to re-energise the anti-nuclear movement. put it back on the agenda. make it a point of political discussion. get politicians to commit to reducing warhead count. press hard on any nation that seeks to acquire nuclear weapons.

i know the last one wont be popular (WRT Iran) but i think that's because people have either forgotten or never knew just how dangerous a nuclear weapon is and how quickly a nuclear war can escalate to global scales. there's a reason why it's called "Mutually Assured Destruction", as you say.

i don't trust anyone to manage nuclear weapons, least of all nations who've actually used them.
  6. thekanjar Barfi's Jammin

Source:BBC News website

How Israel may bomb targets in Iran

How to get there?
    For a start it is a very long way from Israel to Iran. As a rough estimate many of the potential targets are some 1,500km (930 miles) to 1,800km (1,120 miles) from Israeli bases. Israeli warplanes have to get to Iran and, equally important, get back.
    At least three routes are possible.
    • There is the northern one where Israeli jets would fly north and then east along the borders between Turkey and Syria, and then Turkey and Iraq
    • The central, more likely route would take Israeli warplanes over Iraq. With the US military gone, the Iraqi authorities are far less able to monitor and control their air space, effectively opening a door to an Israeli incursion
    • The third, southern route would take Israeli jets over Saudi air space. Would the Saudis turn a blind eye to such a move given their own concerns about Iran's nuclear programme? Could this route be used by Israeli aircraft on the return leg of their journey? We just do not know

Hi guest. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image. Thanks!

7. bandit BorisTheBlade

The BBC selling the British Public another war ^^
  8. Derek It's Too Late

I think WW3 has already started and we are in the middle of it. The Yanks dominate the globe with their 100 military bases all over the world and one by one they are taking out anybody that they don't like. They're just being a bit more subtle and sneaky with their methods.

As far as I'm concerned they have no right to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons if they themselves have them and Israel has 300 warheads. Gross hypocrisy. I don't think nuclear weapons themselves will necessarily fuel ww3 as such but they might play a part in it.
  9. bandit BorisTheBlade

Iran has just announced today it will no longer accept the dollar as a payment for its Oil.

It will only Accept GOLD as a method of payment. Will this move spark something in the very fragile middle east??

Iran 'to accept payment in gold for oil'

Hi guest. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image. Thanks!

Iran is to accept gold instead of dollars as payment for its oil, the country's state news agency has said.
    The move comes as US and European Union sanctions against Iran have made it difficult for buyers to make dollar payments to Iranian banks.
    Mahmoud Bahmani, the governor of Iran's central bank, is reported to have said that the country would accept payment in gold "without any reservation".
    As part of the sanctions, the EU has passed a ban on buying Iranian oil.
    The EU's move will prohibit any company, in any member state, from buying oil from Iran after 1 July. At present, the EU accounts for 20% of Iran's exports.
    However China, the biggest purchaser of Iranian oil, has said it will continue imports, as will India.
    The US already has a ban on Iranian oil in place.
    Iran has the world's third-largest oil reserves. Crude oil is predominantly traded in US dollars, but Iran already accepts payment in other currencies.
    Separately, Dubai's Noor Islamic Bank said on Wednesday that it had ended any dealings with Iranian financial institutions back in December, as a result of US sanctions against working with Iranian banks.

Source : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17203132
  10. bathing ape It's Too Late

The gold thing is no biggie, there is a move generally to move away from USD being the base ccy for oil and everything else anyway although the plan is a basket of currencies. Then the US is fecked. They can't do shit about it cos its China and dem manz involved as well.

Re nuclear war, this shit has been going on for years. Decades even. Why is Iran having nukes any more scary than Pakistan and India having nukes? Those two could nuke each other in a heartbeat, they are always at each other's throats, but they don't do they?
    So Israel is just shitting it and the US are shitting it because it destabilises the middle east a bit, and also then they have no way of stopping the Saudis and those guys demanding nukes.
    No-one actually believes that they will get used.
  11. Look at that Cat ಠ_ಠ It's Too Late

I would guess the biggest push for a non nuclear Iran is coming from Saudi.

Saudi will be bricking themselves if Iran have nuclear abilities.
  12. I guess to sum it up, with the combination of an increase in nationalism imperialism and pursuing to build up a strong army and navy gives nations the means and will to make war, when alliances are formed then yeah you can see a war building up..
    that's what it's about in any situation..but i think with what everyones talking about in relation to israel, pakistan whatever then it's defintly to do with who has the most ruthless power politics, or a religious crusade in favour of one ideology or another. Adding nuclear weapons to the scene er i don't know if it even makes a difference.. when all the underlying causes to war are much more dangerous...?